Friday, May 10, 2013

Homemade Lip Balm

I decided I would take on another hobby.  Jan, whom I met through Operation Write Home, began making homemade salves and soaps.  After seeing her posts and reading about homemade body care, I thought I can do that.  What really pushed me was my son always gets horribly chapped lips (especially in the winter).  I have tried so many chapsticks and nothing really worked.  Then when he recently had the flu and wasn't drinking enough water, his lips were so chapped, they were bleeding.

The great thing about making your own products is knowing what is going into it.  You look at so many labels of items in stores and you can't pronounce half of them.  And you also wonder if it's really good for you.


 I found a simple lip balm recipe here but did a little variation.  This recipe doesn't make much but for the 1st batch it was just enough.  I used beeswax, mango butter (cocoa butter breaks out my skin & makes me very itchy), olive oil (i don't have almond oil), vitamin e and tea tree essential oil.  I did not add the honey as I read mixed reviews about using it.



To start, I put the beeswax, mango butter and olive oil into a glass measuring cup.  I bought one just for making this as I have read that it's hard to get it completely clean.  I also heard of people using a mason jar.  But you want something that can be heated.


Next, you need a double boiler (or create your own).  Add about 1 inch of water into the pot and then add your measuring cup.  You want to keep it on a low heat (I had to turn it up a bit because our stove is off).  While it's melting, stir continuously.  Once it's melted, remove the measuring cup & wipe off the water (you do not want water in your mixture).  Now is the time to add the vitamin e and essential oil.  Since tea tree oil can be pretty strong, I didn't add much.  I figured if it needs more, I will remember for the next batch. 


At this point, you need to move quickly.  It starts setting fast.  I used a lip balm tube (I bought it here but many options online to purchase).  And two pots.  I actually bought these at Joann in the beading section.  They are suppose to be used to store beads or other accessories.  But they work perfectly for my need.  Pour your mixture into the chosen containers.  Let it cool completely before adding the lids.  Then you add labels on your containers to make them look nice.  I just haven't printed any at the moment.

** One note **  I actually added a little more beeswax then the recipe called for (because I accidentally dumped more than I wanted & the oil was already in the measuring cup.  Oops!  But it wasn't a whole lot.  Before I cleaned up, I actually rubbed some of the balm off the glass & put on my lips.  It's a tad on the waxy side.  If I really wanted to "fix" it, I would put back into the measuring cup, melt it down & add a tiny bit more olive oil.  But I didn't.

Now the real test will be when I can use it on my son's lips and see how they do. 



No comments:

Post a Comment