Friday, December 9, 2011

Seeing Christmas Through The Eyes Of A Child


I have always loved Christmas.  Something about seeing all the decorations and having family close by.  When I got older, I always helped my mom get the house ready.  One year, she was busy working and didn't have the "spirit."  She said there would be no decorations.  I was SO mad.  While she was at work, I got everything out of the attic & put it up myself.

As we get older, most of us lose that love.  We get so wrapped up in our own lives.  The spirit of Christmas becomes consumed by how many presents we have to buy and the amount of money we must spend.  I found myself doing that exact same thing.  Especially, after I moved away from my family.  I felt like there was no reason to celebrate.  But then our son came along.....and how things change.

Children love the spirit and the magic of Christmas.  They love the decorations, the season of giving and mystery of that jolly man we call Santa.  Christmas comes alive again when you experience through your child.  My husband and I made a tradition of every Christmas Eve, we would get a glass of eggnog, ride around looking at lights while listening to carols.  Now when we ride around with our son, watching his eyes light up and that smile on his face makes it all worth it.

This year, just about every morning, I catch my son sitting in front of the Christmas tree, just staring.  And as the presents begin to grow under the tree, so does his excitement.  He wants the lights on all day long.  Thanks to my son, I found that love and joy for the holiday again.

No comments:

Post a Comment